Preparing the Outside of Your Home to Sell
Preparing the outside of your home to sell is very important. This is the first impression people will have of your home as they scroll through the listings of homes for sale in sites such as realtor.com. What is going to catch their eye and make your home stand out? What can you do to improve the overall appeal of your home and make it standout?
Take a Picture of Your Home
- Go outside and take several pictures of your home from different angles at different times of the day.
- Which angle makes your home look its best? Is there a time of day that shows your home off ?
- Compare your home to others that are already on the market that are of comparable size. Is there some small touch you could add to your home that would set it apart from the others that are already for sale?
- A fresh coat of carefully selected paint can make your front door pop! Add a nice wreath and welcome mat to make it look inviting.
- If you have a front porch does it need a little something to make it more homey?
- Adding shutters can make some windows more interesting.
- Easy to see numbers for your home address can make your home easier to find.
- Would a fresh coat of paint help? Maybe changing the color of your garage doors would make a difference. Does your siding need repaired in places and cleaned?
- Be critical, would any of the ideas listed above help the appearance of your home? Have you come up with a few other ideas of your own.
Look at the property that you see in the Picture of Your Home
1. Keep your lawn looking great, watered and mowed. Trim trees, shrubs and hedges.
2. Keep your flower gardens well maintained. Make sure your beds are weeded. Perhaps you need to brighten them with a few new pots or freshly painted pots. Good ground cloth,wood chips or mulch can also add to the appeal.
3. Think of added landscaping features that would make your property stand out from your neighbors. ie River rock wall, water fountain, fire pit, garden, patio
4. Fences need to be maintained, repaired and painted if necessary to make them more attractive.
Make a few changes
Be critical of what you’ve done to prepare the outside of your home to sell. Don’t spend a lot of money, be creative and think about overall appeal. Maybe just one idea will make a big difference and help to make your home stand out. Check out sites online like:
Take a second picture – Does this home catch your eye? If you notice the improvements so will someone else.